Applied Science Level 3 BTEC Subsidiary Diploma at Stanground Academy
If you intend to go into a scientific career that is not specifically biology, chemistry or physics ie, sports science careers, or laboratory technicians, this course will interest you. If you have enjoyed the hands on approach of BTEC level 2 work, or are interested in a level 3 science course without examinations, then this practical course will suit you.
– Range of fundamental skills in biology, chemistry and physics including, microscope use,
use of calorimeters, titration, preparing standard solutions, interpreting electron
micrographs of cells.
– A deeper study of how science is presented to people by a range of media.
– A large range of scientific practical techniques.
– Some of the procedures that must be followed in the average day of a lab technician eg
handling dangerous substances/radioactive substances, preparing solutions of
corrosive or harmful chemicals.
Units covered at Certificate
– Unit 1: Fundamentals of Science.
– Unit 2: Working in the Science Industry.
– Unit 4: Scientific Practical Techniques.
Units covered at Extended Certificate
3 of the optional units offered in the specification, of which there may be a variety to choose from.
5+ A*-C grades at GCSE including grade 5 or above in English and mathematics. Equivalent of B grade in GCSE Science.
Coursework, portfolio and external assessment
This course could lead onto foundation degrees in science subjects, sports science courses, careers in applications of science eg technicians, brewing, production of chemicals etc.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Stanground Academy directly.