Spanish AS at Harris Academy Battersea
AS content (studied in the context of Spain and Spanish-speaking countries around the world):
- Modern and traditional values
- Equal rights
- Modern day idols
- Cultural heritage
- Spanish regional identity
- Volver by Pedro Almódovar
Enrichment opportunities include:
- BFI film study day
- Trips abroad
- Work with Instituto Cervantes in Central London
- Film and literature via the texts studied (Como Agua Para Chocolate and Volver)
Students often study Spanish alongside English, History, Psychology and Sociology.
- Listening, reading, writing and speaking
- Translation into and out of Spanish
- Summarising texts
- Critical essay writing
Students must have a B grade in Spanish GCSE or we will consider native speakers of Spanish who do not have a GCSE.
Examination Board: AQA
There are three external examinations.
AS exam papers:
- Listening, reading and writing
- 1hr 45 mins
- 90 marks
- 1hr 30 mins
- 50 marks
- 12-14 mins
- 60 marks
Appropriate for undergraduate study and further study in Translation, Linguistics, Teaching languages, The Arts, Marketing, Communications, Management consultancy and Public Relations plus any international job roles.
What our students say:
“Spanish has given me a new insight into culture and the heritage of Spain, as well as an appreciation for the complexities of language learning. I feel fully prepared for and excited about embarking upon languages at University.”
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Harris Academy Battersea directly.