Health and Social Care - Level 2 Extended Certificate at Vision West Nottinghamshire College
This course will enable you to gain a nationally-recognised, vocationally specific qualification to enter employment as a health or social care worker or progress
to a Level 3 qualification.
The course content aims to develop your knowledge of the role of the health or social care worker, their relationship with patients/service users and their responsibilities to service users and the wider health and social care sectors.
You will be provided with opportunities to develop your functional skills and a range of other skills, techniques, personal qualities and attributes essential for a successful performance in working life.
You will be required to undertake 50 hours of mandatory work placement.
You will also be encouraged to actively participate in voluntary work.
The BTEC Diploma in Health and Social Care Level 2 consists of two core units, two mandatory units and five specialist units.
The core units are:
- Human Lifespan Development Exam
- Health and Social Care Values
The mandatory units are:
- Effective Communication in Health and Social Care
- Healthy Living Exam
Specialist units (five of which are chosen by the tutor) include:
- The Impact of Nutrition on Health and Wellbeing
- Human Body Systems and Care of Disorders
- Creative and Therapeutic Activities in Health and
- The Health and Social Care Sector*
*this unit has a mandatory work placement
- Four GCSEs with at least 3 points (grade D) including maths, and preferably GCSE English with 4 points (grade C) OR
- A Level 1 Health and Social Care or Childcare will be considered
You will need to attend an interview with the tutor before being accepted on to the course. You may also need to supply at least one written reference from a teacher or employer (in some cases two) and/or your current school or college report.
Mature students (those aged 21 or over) who do not have the qualifications required for entry may still be eligible, subject to an interview. Relevant experience, a strong portfolio of work and a commitment to the subject you wish to study may be acceptable for certain courses.
You will be continually assessed through a portfolio and assignments which will relate to the vocational units studied. You will also sit two examinations.
What can I go on to study?
- Level 3 BTEC 90 Credit Diploma in Health and Social Care
- Other related Level 3 courses
- An apprenticeship
- Social workers
- Senior care workers
- Care workers and home carers
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Vision West Nottinghamshire College directly.