Accessibility links

Quantitative Methods (Maths) A level at East Norfolk Sixth Form College

Course description

AS Quantitative Methods (Maths) is a relatively new AS qualification. It is designed for students who have achieved Grade C or better at GCSE Maths (Higher) and do not want to take the subject at A-Level but do use maths in other subjects and wish to study maths further.

As well as providing an AS qualification in its own right, this course will help support the mathematical components of other AS subjects. It provides students with the mathematical skills to tackle problems in a variety of different real and realistic contexts.

You will be taught to use a modelling cycle, a statistical problem-solving cycle and a financial problem-solving cycle.

Course content

The course is made up of three units:

  1. Introduction to Quantitative Methods: In this unit students tackle problems in real or realistic contexts, using tools such as spreadsheets where appropriate. They use problem-solving cycles in modelling, statistics and financial mathematics and apply common sense to check the outcome of calculations.
  2. Statistics: In this unit students build on and extend the data handling and sampling techniques learnt at GCSE, apply theoretical knowledge to practical situations using simple probability models and gain an insight into the ideas and techniques underlying hypothesis testing.
  3. Decision Mathematics: This unit requires students to use algorithms in a variety of different situations to solve real world problems modelled as networks. The problems presented are diverse and require flexibility of approach.

Entry requirements

Grade C in GCSE Maths (Higher).

Assessment

Awarding Body – OCR

The Introduction to Quantitative Methods unit requires students to undertake one piece of coursework, solving a statistical problem with the assistance of a spreadsheet, which makes up 20% of the total marks for this unit. The remaining 80% for this unit is assessed by an exam at the end of year. The other two units (Statistics 1 & Decision 1) are assessed solely by exams.

Future opportunities

An AS in Quantitative Methods would complement other subjects as part of an application to university as more and more degrees include mathematical content.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Norfolk Sixth Form College directly.

Last updated date: 07 September 2016

Key information

Venues