Outdoor Adventure Leadership and Education Level 3 Diploma at Bridgwater College
This new and exciting programme will enable you to study and develop knowledge and skills relevant to the Outdoor Adventure industry, incorporating land and water based practical activity and theory.
You will gain invaluable experience during the course enabling you to become a confident and efficient leader in a range of Outdoor and Adventurous Activities such as kayaking, mountain biking, climbing, high ropes, expeditions and team building. You will benefit from practical sessions delivered by specialist Outdoor Education professionals who are keen to pass on their expertise to prepare you to enter the stimulating and rewarding career of the Outdoor and Adventurous Education.
You will study a mix of theoretical and practical subjects relating to Outdoor and Adventurous Education, its industry and its challenges and opportunities.
This Btec Diploma in Outdoor Adventure Leadership is divided into units of study that are taught over two years. To achieve the full Diploma, you must satisfactorily complete a total of 13 units, seven of which are core.
The course is designed to enable students to develop their practical skills and understanding of Outdoor and Adventurous activities in order to subsequently enable them to become efficient leaders within these activities and their professional settings.
- Principles of Anatomy
- Principles and practices in Outdoor Adventure
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Physiology of Fitness
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Equipment and Facilities for Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Assessing risk in Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Fitness Training and Programming
- Leadership in Sport and Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Leading Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Alternative Pursuit for Outdoor Adventure
- Leading Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
A range of additional qualifications will take place over this two year programme and will be part of your assessment:
- First Aid at work (Outdoor Activities Specific)
- Sport Leaders UK Basic Expedition Assistant Leader qualification
- National Governing Body awards such as:
- British Canoeing Union paddle sports awards
- Navigation Awards from the National Navigation Award Scheme
- Mountain-bike Instructor Award Scheme 'Gears' awards
Importantly the programme will prepare you with pre-requite to undertake National Governing Body instructor or leader courses.
- At least five GCSEs grades A* - C, with English and Science preferred
- Or a Merit profile in a relevant level 2 qualification
Assessments are continuous throughout the course and are achieved via a variety of assessment methods - coursework, written reports, delivery of practical sessions, practical performance, observations, group work, presentations, etc.
Your work will be graded distinction, merit or pass.
This 2 A-levels equivalent programme will prepare students for either:
- Employment within the Outdoor Activity Industry
- Higher Education: Foundation Degrees or Honours Degrees
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Bridgwater College directly.