Geography A-Level at John Port School
What will I learn on the course?
AS: You will study global themes, including globalisation, population, climate change and hazards. You will discover how your own actions can relate to the wider world, be it in your local area or a country far away
A2: You will learn how the world is contested and develop research skills in a topic of your choice (from a range of six topics)
The general entry requirement for the Sixth Form applies. In addition to the general entry requirement for the Sixth Form, the minimum requirement for the AS course is a GCSE grade C in Geography. If Geography is not taken at GCSE level, the minimum requirement is a grade B in GCSE English.
AS By written examination in May/June
- Unit 1: 1 hour 30 minute exam
- Unit 2: 1 hour 15 minute exam
A2 By written examination
- Unit 4: 1 hour 30 minute exam [in June]
- Unit 3: 2 hours 30 minute exam [in June]
Geography opens up a wide range of careers in a multitude of different categories such as:
- The Business World e.g. accountancy, retail management
- Society e.g. social work, teaching, advertising
- Physical Systems e.g. Environment Agency, pollution analyst
- Geographical Techniques e.g. GIS (geographical information system) management, remote sensing analysis
- Settlement e.g. planning officer, estate management
- Travel and Tourism e.g. leisure centre management, tour guide
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact John Port School directly.