Laboratory & Science Technician Apprenticeship Advanced at East Berkshire College
All Apprenticeships consist of a Framework of different elements. They must include qualifications that, when achieved, prove the Apprentice's competence in carrying out work of the Level and type identified in the Framework.
Also included must be qualifications which demonstrate the technical knowledge of the job and industry, plus more wide ranging general skills required to operate successfully in the trade; these will include Maths, English and, if appropriate, ICT and Employer Rights and Responsibilities.
The different elements can be combined in one qualification, or be covered in separate qualifications, but all elements must be achieved to obtain a full Apprentice Certificate.
The Competency qualification in this Apprenticeship is the NVQ Diploma in Laboratory Science (level 3) The Technical Qualification is the EDEXCEL BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Science
NVQ Diploma Mandatory Units:
- Maintaining health and safety in a laboratory environment (5 credits)
- Maintaining effective and efficient working relationships in the laboratory (5 credits)
- Providing leadership for a laboratory team (16 credits)
- Measuring, weighing and preparing compounds and solutions for laboratory use. (16 credits)
- Using and communicating laboratory information to authorised personnel (6 credit)
Optional Units: A further four units amounting to a minimum of 23 credits are selected to meet the needs of the employer and learner.
Different Apprenticeships have different entry requirements. However the most important requirements are that:
- You must be living in England and not taking part in full-time education.
- You must be aged 16 or over.
- If don't have good GCSE grades in Maths and English you will need to take a literacy and numeracy test.
For entry to the Apprenticeship the learner will have gained an appropriate number of level 2 qualifications in a relevant area (five GCSEs at grade C or higher), or be able to evidence equivalent qualifications or experience, and must have the necessary exposure in the working environment to complete the qualification.
Learner will be assessed within the college as well in the workplace to ensure all the competencies are met.
Regular review meetings will take place with the learner, assessor and employer to support the achievement of the qualification.
You may progress to a Level 4 Advanced Apprenticeship or relevant Foundation Degree
Further professional qualifications and advancement. Relevant job roles for this Apprenticeship include:
- Laboratory Technicians
- Manufacturing Technician
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact East Berkshire College directly.