Art and Design (Photography) Level 3 Diploma at Hertford Regional College
- Approximately 50,000 people work full time in the photo imaging industry which equates to around one tenth of the creative media workforce as a whole
- In addition, many thousands of photographers work part-time generating saleable images, or work as photographers across the whole spectrum of business organisations and employers
- Students progress to careers in areas such as medical and forensic , fashion and advertising, wildlife and marine, editorial, documentary, science and fine art. Also, careers in production, technical support, archiving, agent management, digital retouching and the emerging specialisms such as instagram/iphone portraiture
- Produce practical assignments using manual and digital SLR cameras with the opportunity to develop time based media projects
- Practice darkroom and processing techniques to produce hand-printed images
- Learn studio lighting and skills using software such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Provide a comprehensive in-depth study of photography to meet the creative and commercial needs of an image-based world.
- Establish collaborative working practices and build communication skills
- Regular contributions to a photography gallery open to the public
- Develop appropriate skills/qualifications in English, Maths and software applications
- 200 GCSE entry points including English Language or English Literature at Grade C or have Level 2 Diploma at Merit level including GCSE English Language or English Literature at Grade C.
- You will have to provide examples of art and design or photography work at interview
- We also welcome applications from students with other relevant experience or qualifications
You will be assessed through working on practical assignments, producing a wide range of manual and digital photographic solutions. Using industry standard equipment including Apple Macs, the Adobe Creative Suite and DSLR cameras. An exploration of the art and science of photography will include experiments with light, lenses, film and digital manipulation. Functional skills assessed through online tests.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2016. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2016, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last three years, and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). However, fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). You will be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee, materials fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.
After successfully completing a Level 3 90 Credit Diploma, you can progress to a second and final year of specialist study with a Level 3 Extended Diploma. Students progress to careers in areas such as medical and forensic, fashion and advertising, wildlife and marine, editorial, documentary, science and fine art. Also, careers in production, technical support, archiving, agent management, digital retouching and the emerging specialisms such as instagram/iphone portraiture.
Photography can be an expensive subject to study. You will be expected to own your own Digital SLR camera. Your tutors can advise you on which camera to buy. You will also be expected to pay to print your photographs. There is a kit price of £80, which will provide you with photographic paper, film, memory stick and other sundries. There is also a £10 charge on enrolment as a contribution towards one trip, but there will be several other day trips over the year, for which you will need to pay the cost of transport. You will also need to provide a basic art kit, folders and sketchbook.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hertford Regional College directly.