Photography Diploma Level 3 at Rotherham College
The director calling ‘lights, camera, action’. The actors and actresses collecting all the gongs. The influential radio presenter playing the latest hits. They would all be nothing without the technical production crew operating the cameras, co-ordinating the lights or recording the sound. Our media and photography courses will build your knowledge and skills to prepare you for a career in animation, production (film, TV and radio) and visual communications (graphics, photography and design).
With cutting-edge facilities that replicate those out in industry, you’ll use state-of-the-art equipment and be taught by experienced media and photography professionals. You’ll work as part of a media team to produce work for real clients such as Sheffield Live, former international football referee Howard Webb, and The Makers Emporium in Rotherham. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved with enrichment activities: trips to attractions such as Media City, BBC Broadcasting House and London.
This course has an emphasis on practical hands-on work and will provide you with an experience that balances the development of both the creative and technical skills involved in the creation of photographic imagery.
As ‘new’ emerging young creatives you will be introduced to the full creative potential of the photographic medium. Our team of specialist practitioners will support you in your development as image makers by providing you with a foundation of technical, creative and academic knowledge.
You will be introduced to the contemporary and historical themes that underpin contemporary art practice, providing you with the knowledge to progress successfully onto our Media, Moving Image and Photography Degree or gain employment in the creative industries.
What will I study?
• Specialist studio photography
• Specialist fashion photography
• Advertising and editorial photography
• Fine art photography
• Experimental photography
• Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom and Premiere
• Advanced darkroom practice
• 35mm and medium format film photography
• Digital photography
• You will create a professional portfolio for progression onto HE and work in the creative industries
What added value will I receive?
• On this course you will work with industry standard facilities and be taught by industry professionals who will guide you on your journey to becoming a creative practitioner
• You will have access to professional standard studios and equipment including: professional studios, darkroom, digital editing suites, scanning stations, large format printing, Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras, 35mm, medium format and larger format cameras and full Adobe creative suite
• Each year our students participate in field trips which have included visits to Madrid, London and the Peak District, as well as visits to national galleries and photography festivals
You will work on live client briefs, such as producing advertising stills for commercial clients and working with models to produce look books. Your work will be exhibited in the photography festival, published on our online photography website gallery and your work will be entered into national and global competitions.
This course will also provide you with the creative, technical and business knowledge to enable you to set up your own freelance photography business.
• Four GCSEs at grade C or above including English and a design related subject
• Or successful completion of Photography Diploma Level 2 or equivalent eg. Art and Design •A portfolio of photography work
Written and practical projects. Submission of work for externally assessed units. Regular tutor feedback.
16-18 year olds do not need to pay course fees. Depending on your circumstances you may not need to pay fees. Contact the Enquiries on the details below for advice and guidance on:
T: 01709 722777
The Degree in Media, Moving Image and Photography at Rotherham College or progress on to an alternative course at university.
For more details please contact the Enquiry Team on:
T: 01709 722777
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.