Accessibility links

Dance GCSE at Comberton Village College & Sixth Form

Course description

If pupils opt for GCSE Dance in their curriculum PElesson, they will study the course over two years. In the pupils’ single lesson they will undertake different PE activities in Year 10. The course will be taught in the dance studio and performance hall. What is GCSE dance? The course is designed to expand the students’ understanding of dance as a whole and will develop skills in four main areas: - performance - choreography - technique - dance appreciation Students will learn to create their own dances, as well as undertaking a theoretical study of one main set dance work and four supporting professional works. The course at a glance The examination board is AQA. Theory work is assessed in a two- hour written exam at the end of the two years, counting for 20% of the total marks. Practical work counts for the remaining 80% of the final mark and is separated into four sections. a) Practical examination of the set study. A performance of a solo dance approximately one minute in length. 20% of the total marks. b) Performance and choreography coursework. A performance of a group dance, approximately 21/2-3 minutes in length. 20% of total marks. c) Choreography coursework. A performance of a solo dance, approximately 11/2-2 minutes in length. 30% of total marks. d) Expanded programme notes. 10% of total marks. Pupils will be expected to purchase a dance GCSE T-shirt from the school before starting the course. They will also be expected to attend a dance class after school to improve their technical skills in performance and composition. Extra curricular dance A two-year course is being offered to pupils on Monday evenings, 6.00–8.00 pm. The cost will be £155 per year paid, after an initial deposit of £25, in 10-monthly instalments of £15 in Yr 10, and nine instalments of £15 in Yr 11. These are subject to change depending on the number of pupils enrolled. The course is run by Mrs Diane Downing.

Further information

Contact Enquiries for further information. Delivery: Usually as part of a full-time programme

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues