Health Studies & Social Care Level 3 Extended Diploma at Somerset College
In year 1 you will study the 90-credit Diploma and in year 2 you will study the Diploma or Extended Diploma. Upon successful completion of year 1, you will continue to year 2.
This course offers practical experience and is recognised within a wide range of health and social care work settings. The course is suitable for those who want to work in the health and social care sector or progress on to further training in nursing, mental health, social work, paramedic, occupational therapy, health related professions, chiropody and degree level study.
As part of the course, you will undertake the core units of:
- Effective Communication
- Equality, Diversity and Rights
- Health & Safety
- Life Stages
- Caring for Children and Young People
- Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Safeguarding Vulnerable Adults and Children
- Personal and Professional Development
- Challenging Behaviour and Vocational Experience
- Caring for Individuals with Additional Needs
- Vocational Experience
- Physiological Disorders
- Fluid Balance
- Bio Chemistry
- Dementia Care
- Mobility & Exercise
- Complementary Therapies
- English & Maths
In addition to the core units, students will select a specialist pathway of their choice to study. Students can choose to specialise in one of the following areas:
- Health Science
- Health Studies
- Health & Social Care
You will have the opportunity to work with a wide range of client groups in health, education and care settings through your work placements.
- Five GCSEs at grade A* to C including English language (written), or a Level 2 Diploma in a related subject at merit level and English Language at Grade C or above.
- Students must be aged between 16-19 years.
- A DBS check is required. This course may involve regular access to children and/or vulnerable adults.
- Successful selection interview.
- Provide evidence that you have experience working with children or adults in a caring capacity, this may include babysitting or voluntary work.
You will be taught through a range of teaching styles supported by excellent IT and learning resources. You will be assessed through assignment work, which could include individual and group projects, presentations, practical and written work. Observation is an important part of the assessment used for this course both in College and work placement settings.
You could progress on to the Foundation Degree in Health & Social Care Studies followed by BSc (Hons) Health & Social Care Management at Somerset College.
You could seek employment in nursing, social work, midwifery, health visiting or become a paramedic. You could also progress into working with specialist users (elderly people and young people) such as acute/chronic/physical difficulties, and mental health.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Somerset College directly.