Accessibility links

Business Studies at Guru Nanak Sikh Academy

Course description

At AS Level, this specification introduces candidates to the challenges and the issues of starting a business, including financial planning. It then explores the key internal functions of business and how the management of these functions can assist in improving the effectiveness and performance of a business. The AS specification has two units: Unit 1: Planning and Financing a Business * Starting a Business - The challenges and issues of starting a business; enterprise; entrepreneurs. * Financial Planning - Key financial concepts needed to start a business including: sources of start up finance, planning cash flow, contribution and break even. Unit 2: Managing a Business * People - Communication; motivation; recruitment; HR planning * Operations Management - adding value; quality; customer service. * Finance - improving cash flow, measuring profit, improving profitability. * Marketing and Competition - planning; 4 'Ps; analysing the competitive environment. Assessment Unit 1 - Written paper 1 hour (40% of total AS marks/ 20% of total A Level marks) unit 2 - Written Paper 1 hour 30 minutes ( 60% of total AS marks / 30% of total A Level marks

Entry requirements

B grade in Business Studies or B in English or Maths at GCSE level.

Future opportunities

You could take this course to complement other advanced level courses or to prepare for the A2 part of an Advanced GCE in Applied Business, which could lead you onto higher education, BTEC Higher Nationals or NVQ Levels 3 and 4 in areas of business such as business, management, economics and marketing. With further training, you could go into a job related to business, which could be through a trainee management scheme with a specific company. You could go straight into a job related to business as the AS GCE is a recognised qualification that will help you develop the basic knowledge and understanding about how a business works.

Further information

To find out more about this qualification, contact us, ask your Connexions Personal Adviser or school/college careers staff.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Guru Nanak Sikh Academy directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 1 year

Venues