Technology AS at Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth
Why study Technology?
- A course in Product Design offers a unique opportunity for students to identify and solve real problems by designing and making products, combining the application of design principles with technological practical skills.
- The course is intended to be of interest to a wide range of students including those intending to follow a higher education course in Design & Technology or to compliment and enhance study in associated areas such as Mathematics, Physics, ICT or Computing etc.
- Provides opportunity for candidates to gain a broad understanding of the skills, understanding and knowledge inherent in Design & Technology and to specialise in one focus area.
- Encourage candidates to develop their critical thinking, to see the relationships between designer, manufacturer and the user and to perceive Design and Technology within the world in which we live.
- Provides opportunity to develop their key skills, particularly those in problem solving, use of IT and communication. They will also have opportunities to develop their skills in application of number, working with others and improving learning and performance.
The course is delivered in a practical way to enable candidates to recognise the purpose of knowledge and to be able to draw on it in practical solutions. The course encourages students to adopt an investigative approach, applying knowledge of engineering and the real world Coursework is intended to provide students with an opportunity to apply engineering theories and concepts.
Successful students will be able to apply knowledge of Design and Technology to understanding engineering problems and potential solutions.
AS level students complete an examination paper (unit 1) and a design and make task (unit 2).
AS is normally completed in year.
DT1: Product Design Examination Paper
- Design and innovation
- Materials and components
- Product analysis
- Industrial an commercial practice
DT2: Design and Make Task
- Candidates will submit one design and make task which will satisfy the AS assessment criteria.
- 40% of AS
- Two hour written examination. Section A questions require short answers. Section B questions require open – ended essay type responses.
- 60% of AS
- This component is marked by the centre and moderated by the WJEC.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ysgol Maes y Gwendraeth directly.