Further Mathematics at South Wilts Grammar School for Girls
This course runs alongside the mathematics course for those students with a flair for and interest in mathematics. The course pattern is the similar to that for mathematics. For AS level you will study one further pure module and two applied modules: Mechanics and Decision. To extend into A level you will complete two further pure modules and one further applied module. This course is taught in two double periods a week
How will you learn?
- Recall, select and use your knowledge of mathematical facts, concepts and techniques in a variety of contexts.
- Construct rigorous mathematical arguments and proofs through use of precise statements and logical deduction.
- Develop extended arguments for handling substantial problems.
- Apply your knowledge of standard mathematical models to represent situations in the real world.
- Comprehend translations of common realistic contexts into mathematics.
- Use contemporary technology accurately and efficiently.
- Understand when not to use such technology, and its limitations.
Studying AS mathematics and at least an A grade for GCSE mathematics.
Examination Board: Edexcel
What exams and coursework are involved?
All modules are assessed via a single written examination lasting 90 minutes and all are equally weighted.
It is particularly beneficial, and essential at some universities, to students who intend to study mathematics, physics or engineering degree courses.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact South Wilts Grammar School for Girls directly.