Sport Cambridge Technical at The Grove School
OCR Cambridge Technical Level 3 Certificate/Diploma/Extended Diploma
This course is a continuation of the Cambridge National in Sport offered in Key Stage 4.
Students study the Level 3 Certificate in Year 12 and the Introductory Diploma in Year 13.
There may be opportunities to study the Extended Diploma.
Level 3 Certificate in Sport
Students complete 4 units:-
1. Principles of Anatomy and Physiology of Sport
Human anatomy and physiology is one of the key underpinning themes for anyone
aspiring to work in sport - and the focus of this unit. By exploring how bodies work
and are changed by exercise, students start to identify methods to bring about
changes in others through sports sessions and activities.
2. Sports Coaching
In this unit, students consider the underlying roles, responsibilities and techniques
employed by coaches before putting their knowledge to use in planning and
delivering sports coaching sessions.
3. Current issues in Sport
This unit will give students an insight into how sport has evolved from an uncodified
and often violent beginning to a multi billion-pound worldwide industry. They’ll
consider a range of media influences and contemporary issues that shape how we
view and participate in sport.
4. The Physiology of fitness
This unit builds on the knowledge developed in OCR Cambridge Technical in Sport
Unit 1 Anatomy and Physiology, and extends it further to look at changes that occur
in the body after long term physical activity
Students complete a portfolio of evidence and there is currently no written examination.Level 3 Introductory Diploma in Sport
Students complete 3 of the following units:-
1. Sports Nutrition
2. Psychology for Sports Performance
3. Practical Team Sports
4. Sport as a Business
5. Exercise for specific groups
6. Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
7. Practical individual sports
8. Applied Sport and Exercise Physiology
9. Leadership in Sport
10. Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
11. Sports Injuries
12. Analysis of Sports Performance
13. Talent Identification and Development in
14. Sport and Exercise Massage
15. Organising Sports Events
16. Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
17. The Athlete's Lifestyle
18. Assessing Risk in Sport
19. Fitness Training and Programming
20. Sports Development
21. Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise
22. Work Experience in Sport
4 GCSE s at grade D in four different subjects
+ OCR Cambridge National in Sport Level 2 Pass (if taken in
Key Stage 4)
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Grove School directly.