Biology AS & A Level at Coloma Convent Girls' School
This course develops:
- An enthusiasm for Biology.
- Practical skills alongside sound knowledge and understanding of biological concepts.
- An appropriate foundation of knowledge and skills for degree level study of Biology and related subjects.
This science of life course involves the study of a wide range of exciting topics from molecular biology to the study of ecosystems. Biology is never far from the headlines and A level biologists will relate their learning to many contexts. The challenging course enables the acquisition of scientific knowledge and understanding, and will develop analysis and application. Practical work will build a mastery of investigative and practical skills. Learning opportunities will arise from biological visits and field work.
- Carbohydrates, proteins, lipids, nucleic acids and other biological molecules
- Cells, cell division, transport across membranes and cell recognition
- Mass transport in plants and animals, gas exchange, digestion and absorption
- Genetic information and diversity, meiosis, protein synthesis, biodiversity
- Energy transfers in photosynthesis and respiration, and through ecosystems
- Nervous coordination, muscles and homeostasis
- Inheritance, population genetics, evolution, speciation and ecology
- Control of gene expression and gene technologies
The chosen pathway requirements and students must at least Grades AA in Science AND Additional Science OR Grade B in Biology.
Biology is one of the most popular A level subjects in the country, attracting students studying a wide range of other subjects. Students may progress to a biologically related degree course or a career in health and clinical professions, however, many students go on to a diverse range of non-science careers. Whatever field you eventually work in, you will find Biology a rewarding and demanding course which will develop many skills essential for a successful career.
This A level has a linear specification
Awarding Body: 2017-19
AQA Advanced Subsidiary GCE in Biology
AQA Advanced GCE in Biology
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Coloma Convent Girls' School directly.