Film Studies A level at Paston Sixth Form College
If you are interested in Film, then this is a great way to study this highly creative and expressive field. The course is a fantastic opportunity for you to engage with Film in a critical and analytical way and provides an introduction to film analysis, filmmaking, and the film industry in Hollywood, Europe and across the world.
AS Film Studies
In AS Film you will develop theoretical and practical skills by studying a range of films and case studies, exploring film analysis techniques, the film industry and film audiences. You will study:
- How a film constructs meaning through the use of film language conventions to provoke a variety of responses from the audience
- How analysing a film can enable you explore personal, social, cultural, political and ethical issues
- The relationship between the Hollywood and British film industries and their audiences
- Practical filmmaking techniques such as storyboarding and screenwriting
A2 Film Studies
In A2 Film you will broaden your understanding of film history, industries and culture by studying a wide range of films. This will develop your analytical, research and practical skills.
You will study:
- World Cinema and international film styles through study of a specific topic e.g. the representation of the empowering of women
- Early Cinema and spectatorship issues – through analysing films made between 1895 and 1905
- Critical and theoretical approaches to Film through case studies of individual films such as Almodovar's 'Talk to Her', Fincher's 'Fight Club', and Ramsay's 'Morvern Callar'
- Research techniques through developing a small-scale independent research project on any area of Film Studies that interests you
- Practical work in filmmaking, screenplay writing, or documentary treatment development
BBCCC at GCSE including English Language and either Mathematics or a science.
Coursework Portfolio: one written analysis, one creative project; and one examination.
A written examination and a coursework portfolio (a research project and a practical/creative piece).
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Paston Sixth Form College directly.