Art, Craft and Design A Level at Monkseaton High School
Students will have the opportunity to work in a range of ways including:
Fine art: for example, drawing, painting, mixed-media, sculpture, ceramics, installation, printmaking, moving image (video, film, animation) and photography.
Graphic communication: for example, interactive media, advertising, packaging design, design for print, illustration, communication graphics, branding, multimedia, motion graphics, design for film and television.
Textile design: for example, fashion design, fashion textiles, costume design, digital textiles, printed and/or dyed fabrics and materials, domestic textiles, wallpaper, interior design, constructed textiles, art textiles and installed textiles.
Three-dimensional design: for example, ceramics, sculpture, installation work.
Photography: for example, portraiture, landscape photography, still life photography, documentary photography, fashion photography, experimental imagery, multimedia and photographic installation
Students will explore images, artefacts and resources relating to a range of art, craft and design, from the past and from recent times, including European and non-European examples. This will be integral to the investigating and making processes. Students’ responses to these examples will be shown through exciting and innovative practical and critical activities that demonstrate their understanding of different styles, genres and traditions.
- The ability to explore elements of visual language, line, form, colour, pattern and texture in the context of art, craft and design.
- Respond to an issue, theme, concept or idea or work to a brief.
- Record experiences and observations, in a variety of ways using drawing or other appropriate visual forms.
- Analyse, discuss and evaluate images, objects and artefacts; and make and record independent judgements
- Use knowledge and understanding of the work of others to develop and extend thinking and inform own work.
- Review and modify work and plan and develop ideas in the light of their own and others’ evaluations
- Organise, select and communicate ideas, solutions and responses, and present them in a range of visual, tactile and/or sensory forms.
5A*- C/9-5 grades at GCSE. Students should also have a C or above in a creative or practical subject.
- 60% Coursework Portfolio Assessed
- 40% Exam
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Monkseaton High School directly.