Bench Joinery Level 2 at Wiltshire College
The Diploma Bench Joinery Level 2 is for students who have previously completed a level 1 course in Carpentry/Joinery and is a natural progression. This course is also for those completing an NVQ 2 in Bench Joinery as the two qualifications can be gained together.
Anyone wishing to start at level 2 can do so but will need to cover some units from year 1. This course assumes that the applicant prefers the Bench Joinery aspect as opposed to Site Carpentry.
As well as learning about general workshop and health and safety skills, you will also learn about specialist units include the set out, mark out and manufacture of various items of joinery such as windows doors and stairs. There is also a unit on the safe use of traditional woodworking machinery.
You will learn about:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Knowledge of construction technology
- Manufacture routine joinery products
- Mark out from setting out details for routine joinery products
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
- Produce setting out details for routine joinery products
- Set up and operate cutting and shaping machinery
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
From time to time you may be given theory tasks to be completed as homework. In addition, following a period of absence, you will be expected to catch up with your theory work in your own time.
Diploma Level 1 in Carpentry and Joinery, Functional Skills in English and Maths at Entry Level 3.
Pass an entrance test, provide a good reference and a satisfactory interview.
The Diploma Bench Joinery Level 2 is based on continuous assessment of practical and theory tests. These assessments are scheduled at regular intervals over the year after the associated period of training has been completed. There is also eight unit based external online assessment knowledge tests scheduled throughout the duration of the course.
The final qualification will be a City & Guilds Diploma Bench Joinery Level 2.
On completion of this diploma, you choose to may progress into employment where you will also need to achieve an NVQ Level 2 which requires some on-site assessment.
Alternatively you may progress on to one or more of the following:
- Level 3 Diploma in Bench Joinery and/or
- NVQ 2 or 3 if in employment
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.