Accessibility links

Music at King Edward VII

Course description

Course content

Would you like to become:

  • A really confident Performe r?
  • An accomplished Composer ?
  • A perceptive and knowledgeable listener ?

GCSE Music offers you a chance to develop your understanding Music at all levels. If you are a more experienced musician (someone who has studied an instrument or singing for a number of years) then this course well broaden and deepen your existing skills.

If you are a less experienced musician (someone who enjoys Music and who has gained a good level of skills through your KS3 Music lessons) then we can enhance your skills at a fast rate and enable you to become more competent and confident in your ability and understanding of Music.

We study all kinds of Music but focus on:

  • Classical Music - Orchestral, solo and vocal
  • Popular Music - Blues, Rock and Pop, Music Theatre and Film
  • World Music - Africa, India and the Caribbean

Performance will involve you in solo and group work. We can teach you performance skills and that will increase your sense of confidence. All students who choose this GCSE will be required to perform, either playing an instrument or singing.

In Composition you will learn to use melody, chords, structures and different styles to produce recordings and scores of your compositions. Most students choose to use the Sibelius programme on computers to compose and print their Music.

Listening skills are developed in the broadest sense: as Composer and Performer you need to be able to listen in depth and in detail.

GCSE Music is a challenging and exciting course for those who take their music seriously and who enjoy making good music with others. GCSE Music gives all students the opportunity to develop a lifelong interest in Music and is also essential for those students who may wish to specialise in the subject at post-16 levels.

The Music Department at King Edwards enjoys a reputation for excellence in examination results and in concert performance.

Ms Davies and Mr Wells are available to offer you advice about GCSE Music should you have any further questions.

Entry requirements



AssessmentThere is 1 tier of entry.

CourseworkOne composition by July in Y10 worth 20%. 1 piece of coursework combining composition, performance and recording by April in Y11 worth 20%. 2 performances, usually in February of Y11 worth 40% of you final mark.

ExaminationsOne examination at the end of Year 11 worth 20% of your final mark. It lasts 1 hours.

Financial information


Future opportunities

Further information

This course is able to be combined with other courses within a single application

How to apply

You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.

Last updated date: 20 October 2016

Key information

  • Start date: Unknown