Introduction to the Hair and Media Make-up Level 1 Diploma at Hertford Regional College
The world of hairdressing and media make-up is exciting and interesting and has many career paths to choose from.
The programme of study will not only provide you with an insight into both Hairdressing and Media Make-up but will also develop your vocational skills. You will also continue learning academic subjects (Maths and English) which will increase your employability skills. You will also be required to complete 51 hours work experience to support your programme of study and employability skills.
You will study a range of units in relation to hairdressing and media make-up along with additional units. The generic units covered relate to understanding the industry and presenting a professional image, health and safety, working with others and creating an image. You will also do the following additional units:-
- Styling women's hair
- Shampooing and conitioning
- Plating and twisting
- Colouring hair using temorary colour
- Skin care
- Hand care
- Basic make-up application
- Themed fact painting
- You should have a minimum of 120 GCSE points which should include English Language, Maths, and creative areas such as art and design. You should also be able to demonstrate literacy skills at level 1 which will be checked on interview.
- You will need good personal and communication skills along with a genuine interest in the hairdressing and media make-up industry.
You will carry out informal practice which will lead to formal assessments (exams and practical) for every unit.
Free to those under 19 on 31st August 2016. If you are 19 or over on 31st August 2016, have been a permanent resident in the EU for the last three years, and are a fee paying new entrant you will pay £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). However, fee paying students continuing on the same course for a second year will be charged £1500 tuition fee (this was the fee for 2015/16 and could be subject to change for 2016/17). You will be required to pay an administration fee, exam fees, kit fee, materials fee and an Awarding Body Registration fee if applicable. For these costs please contact our Information Centre.
You can progress onto Hair and Media Make-Up City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma or Beauty Therapy Level 2 Diploma.
You will participate in a variety of extracurricular activities that are linked to your programme and designed to enrich your learning experience. These will also include competitions. You will also participate in various events throughout the year.
What will I need?
- You will need to purchase personal stationery
- Kit and uniform are issued at the start of the course, upon payment of all course fees. Kits are non refundable once the course starts
- Payment for optional enrichment activities are detailed throughout the year
- The cost of the kit and uniform is £151.00.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Hertford Regional College directly.