French A Level at Ilkley Grammar School
- develop an interest in, and enthusiasm for, language learning
- develop understanding of the language in a variety of contexts and genres
- communicate confidently, clearly and effectively in the language for a range of purposes
- develop awareness and understanding of the contemporary society, cultural background and heritage of countries or communities where the language is spoken
- derive enjoyment and benefit from language learning
Positive features of a diverse society:
Aspects of political life in the French Speaking world
Teenagers, the right to vote and political commitment
Demonstrations, strikes - who holds the power?
Politics and immigration
One book or film (if not studied or continued from AS year)
Individual Research Project:
After the AS exam students will start working on an individual research project which will be assessed at A2
General entry requirement for Post-16: 5 grade 4/C at GCSE, preferably including English and Maths. Specific entry requirements: Grade 6 in chosen language.
Paper 1: Listening, reading and writing + Grammar + Translation into English.
1 hour 45 mins. 90 marks. 45% of AS.
Paper 2: Writing based on one text or one film + Grammar + Translation into French.
1 hour 30 mins. 50 marks. 25% of AS.
Paper 3: Speaking 12-14 minutes Teacher conducted speaking exam. 60 marks. 30% of A-level.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Ilkley Grammar School directly.