Sport BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate, Diploma and Extended Diploma at Alec Reed Academy
The BTEC Level 3 in Sport Performance, Coaching and Fitness is a full-time vocational qualification that is equivalent to either 1, 2 or 3 A-levels. The programme is designed to enable students to gain both academic and practical experience and become competent in areas that are directly related to the workplace.
This course allows you to develop skills in a sports environment, while continuing to enjoy practical sports performance, gaining experience and qualifications in coaching.
This course is for those with an interest in PE teaching, athlete development, professional sport, Leisure Centre management, sports development, sports coaching, health and lifestyle management, personal training, nutrition and sports injury rehabilitation, to name a few.
There will be 10 mandatory units and 4 optional units.
• Anatomy and Physiology (120 GLH) H, exam based
• Fitness Training and Programming for Health, Sport and Well-being (120 GLH) H, task based external verification
• Development and Provision of Sport and Physical Activity (120), task based external verification
• Investigating Business in Sport and Active Leisure (90 GLH), task based external verification
• Professional Development in the Sports Industry (60 GLH) E, compulsory unit
• Sports Leadership (60 GLH), H E, compulsory unit
• Practical Sports Performance (60 GLH), compulsory unit
• Coaching for Performance (60 GLH), compulsory unit
• Research methods in sport (60 GLH), compulsory unit
• Acquiring Skill in Sport (90 GLH), compulsory unit
• Application of Fitness Testing
• Sports Event Organisation
• Technical & Tactical
• Sports Performance Analysis
4 GCSEs A*-C including a 4 in English and Maths
The styles of assessment are a real strength of the programme, with the emphasis on coursework rather than exams, allowing students to achieve their full potential. There are a diverse range of methods used including written assignments, group work, laboratory reports, presentations, practical tests and simulations.
Grades are awarded on a Pass, Merit or Distinction basis.
The course provides progression opportunities into vocationally relevant employment or higher education, including a guaranteed place scheme for HE sport options within the department.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Alec Reed Academy directly.