Accessibility links

Science GCSE at Accrington and Rossendale College

Course description

You will have one classroom session a week, with some additional time for individual discussion with your tutor. Regular and punctual attendance is essential, as completing a GCSE level course in one year means that several topics may be covered in one session. You will also need to spend about two hours a week studying at home. 

Entry requirements

You must be interested in exploring scientific ideas and knowledge and be able to read and make notes from written materials, able to write clearly (though support will be given with all assignments), willing to learn from feedback given by your tutor, and be able to work on your own, with your tutor’s guidance, and as part of a group with colleagues.


You will take six short multiple choice exams during the year: two in November, two in March and two in June. The marks from these exams make up 75% of the Final Mark. The other 25% comes from an assessed experiment which your tutor will help you with.

Financial information

This course is free of charge for 16 – 18 year olds.

This course will cost a maximum of £250 for learners aged 19 years old or above. This fee may be reduced or void depending on the individual’s circumstances.

Future opportunities

A GCSE C grade or above is required for higher education and other courses of study, such as teacher training and nurse training.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Accrington and Rossendale College directly.

Last updated date: 15 January 2016
Provider logo

Key information