Design Technology - Product Design 3D AS Level at West Kirby Grammar School
WHY CHOOSE 3D PRODUCT DESIGN?
This course has been designed for students who wish to take a broad view of technology and design. Students who have studied GCSE Product Design and wish to widen their understanding of topics covered will find this an ideal course.
CONTENT - Advanced Subsidiary Level
During this year students will study:
Materials and Components
- Compliant Materials - Card, Foamboard etc;
- Resistant Materials - Wood, Metals and Plastics
- Components, Electronics and Mechanical.
Design and Market Influences
- Design in Practice CAD/CAM
- Communication - Industrial Practice
- Methods & Design in the Human Context.
Processes and Manufacture
- Entry onto AS courses is conditional on you achieving at least five B grades at GCSE Level which must include the subjects you intend to study
- If you are starting a new subject at AS Level such as Psychology or Film Studies you must achieve a B grade in a related subject at GCSE Level such as Science or English
- All students must also achieve at least a C grade in Mathematics and English Language
Unit 1: Written paper based on Materials and Components 2hours - 25% of total A level
Unit 2: Coursework - Project work or portfolio of work - 25% of total A level 50 hours
WHAT CAN I DO WITH 3D PRODUCT DESIGN?
This course will be useful for any student considering a design or engineering based career. Students choice of coursework and examination questions allows for great diversity in this subject.
WHAT DO I NEED TO START THE COURSE?
An interest in design and/or technology as well as a grade B or above in GCSE Product Design
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact West Kirby Grammar School directly.