Aviation Operations Intermediate Diploma at Derby College
If you are interested in exploring the potential of a career in aviation operations, this one-year course is for you. It is designed to give you an overview of the operations at an airport, the opportunities within the sector, the potential career progression and the skills needed to succeed in this fast-paced industry.
You will undertake a team building day - as team work is crucial within the sector - and hear from guest speakers representing some of the largest air travel organisations. You will go on visits to airports as part of the course.
You will also develop your maths and English skills, which will support the main programme and help with your future progression.
During the programme, you will develop your knowledge in:
- Aviation security
- Aviation communications
- Aviation checking-in services
- Health and safety within aviation
- Aircraft boarding and arrival services
- Aviation passengers with special requirements
- Baggage processing
- Aircraft marshalling
- Loading and unloading of aircraft
- Supporting flight operations
- Aircraft dispatch processes
You will need to have:
- A minimum of four GCSEs at grade D or above, including Maths and English
- A Level 1 vocational qualification and Maths or English GCSE at grade D or above.
Assessment will be carried out using a variety of methods, including role play, presentations and activities.
You can progress to the Advanced Diploma in Travel and Tourism.
There are wide-ranging employment opportunities at airports, including roles in check-in, boarding and arrivals, and all aspects of flight support.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derby College directly.