Personal & Social Development at Derwen College
Personal and Social Development is an important part of your journey towards independence
Staff at Derwen will support you to develop the essential personal, social and daily living (PSD) skills necessary for greater independence.
During the day you will learn a range of useful skills both within student accommodations and through accessing the local facilities. These skills include:
- Health and personal safety
- Money-handling and personal & weekly shopping
- Essential spending & budgeting
- Knowledge of and accessing the local community
- Use of local transport
- Developing road safety awareness
- Kitchen skills, food preparation & storage
- Relationships – social and professional
- Personal relationships, including sex education
- Managing relationships, dealing with emotions and intimate relationships
- Communication and assertiveness
Outside of timetabled sessions, Derwen’s Care Support team will work with you in every aspect of your everyday life and activities.
They can give you the help you need with personal care routines, including medication where appropriate, support you to make snacks, hot drinks and meals and give you appropriate levels of assistance with laundry and keeping your room tidy. If and when you are ready to perform these tasks yourself, they will be there to guide and encourage you.
The care workers at college will get to know you really well. They’ll find out what you like and don’t like, what makes you laugh and what makes you sad, your favourite football team or the boy band you love singing along to.
They will help you to organise your leisure time, attend clubs, trips and social evenings. The care workers in your accommodation can support you to communicate with home, staff and house-mates and they are there to help you with your weekend personal shopping.
The care staff will help you settle in at college, suggest clubs and activities to join in with and they’ll help you mix and make friends with the other students.
As you get more independent, you might not need quite such close support. At Derwen, your care provision will always be at a level that’s right for you.
As well as supporting you to become more independent, through your PSD sessions you will learn work skills that include:
- Advocacy, rights and responsibilities
- Personal presentation
- Careers advice and how to find a job
- Skills and qualities, interview techniques and organisation structures
- E-portfolio and CV
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Derwen College directly.