Media Studies - A Level at St Gregory the Great Catholic School
At AS Level, candidates will investigate the media in order to reach an understanding and basic evaluation of how meanings and responses are created. The contemporary media landscape and its changing contexts will be studied in terms of products, platforms and technologies. The AS course has two units:
In Unit 1 Investigating the topics covered include:
• Media texts, concepts and contexts
• Platforms including e-media, broadcasting and print
• Cross media studies from broadcast fiction, film fiction, documentary, lifestyle, music, news and sport. Independent research, preproduction and planning a practical production
In Unit two candidates will produce two linked media artefacts taken from two of the three media platforms studied in Unit 1 with a single, accompanying evaluation and pre-production folder for both pieces.
Topics covered include:
• Technical and creative skills
• Knowledge of relevant codes and conventions
• Relevance of platforms and target audiences
• Production in broadcast, e-media and conventional print media.
A minimum of six A*-C passes at GCSE
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Gregory the Great Catholic School directly.