Insights Foundation Learning at Isle of Wight College
The Insights Foundation Learning course is aimed at new college learners with social skills support needs, usually aged 16-19 (older learners with an EHCP are considered) who need flexibility, additional support or a period to adjust to a new learning environment. This could be for various reasons such as health, social, educational, personal, or other, and will enable them to build confidence, gain experience, make choices and develop new skills.
The course is full-time but part-time options are available if required.
This will depend on your individual circumstances. You will work towards:
English and maths Functional Skills or GCSE as appropriate to support your skills and progression in these subject areas. These skills are essential for employment and will be an integral part of your vocational programme.
The Isle of Wight College is fully committed to developing and improving the skills of young people. This includes ensuring that learners work towards achieving GCSE grades A*-C in English and Mathematics if they do not already hold these qualifications. English and maths at GCSE grades A*-C are essential qualifications for progression within further education and to higher education and employment.
You will have the opportunity to gain some short vocational qualifications from the following list:
- Food Safety in Catering
- Healthy Living
- Health and Safety
- Internet Safety for IT Users
- Managing Personal Finance
- Principles of Customer Service
- Understanding Employment Business and Enterprise
- Equality and Diversity
You may access learning through practical bespoke opportunities which could include:
- Work experience from our wide range of external employers and in-house opportunities. Learners with an EHCP or S.E.N. will be supported by our Workplace Coordinator.
- Introduction to Catering, with the opportunity to bake and prepare refreshments for many of our events.
- Multi-skills construction sessions which will offer the chance to learn a variety of new skills.
- Forest School Sessions which will help you to develop teamwork and communication skills and learn about the environment.
- Business Enterprise – In 2015, two Insights learners participated in the College Dragons Den Challenge and won a £50.00 High Street voucher each. They produced chocolate pizzas which they sold throughout the College. The proceeds went to charity.
- Event Management – Last year’s events included:
- Equality and Diversity Christmas Tree Competition
- Employer Speed Dating
- Volunteer’s Tea
- Fund raising for Earl Mountbatten Hospice
- Raising money for the Tsunami Appeal
- Links to vocational course areas where possible
There is an interview, but no formal entry qualifications. Learners should be able to work at least to Entry 2/Entry 3 for practical skills.
You will learn in a friendly and supportive environment to develop your confidence, to become more independent and to improve your practical skills and team work. English and Maths is embedded within all sessions. All learners who require additional learning support will receive this with the aim of working towards independent learning.
This course can lead to further vocational Foundation Learning at Entry 3 or Level 1. Learners could move into entry level employment but are encouraged to use their entitlement to study further at this stage. Learners will be supported to plan their next steps whilst they are on this course.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Isle of Wight College directly.