Physics GCE Advanced Level at The Milton Keynes Academy
The aims and objectives of the OCR GCE Advanced Physics are to enable students to:
- Develop interest in, and enthusiasm for physics
- Develop an interest in further study and careers in physics;
- Appreciate how society makes decisions about scientific issues and how the sciences contribute to the success of the economy and society
- Develop and demonstrate a deeper appreciation of the skills, knowledge and understanding of How Science Works
- Develop essential knowledge and understanding of different areas of Physics and how they relate to each other
A level Physics provide opportunities for the development of the key skills of communication, application of number, information technology, working with others, improving own learning and performance and problem solving.
During the course, students will study six modules. These will prepare them for exams to be sat at the end of the course. This will involve practical exams and written answer exams.
- Module 1 – Development of practical skills in physics -1.1 Practical skills assessed in a written examination and 1.2 Practical skills assessed in the practical endorsement
- Module 2 – Foundations of physics-2.1 Physical quantities and units, 2.2 Making measurements and analysing data and 2.3 Nature of quantities
- Module 3 – Forces and motion - 3.1 Motion, 3.2 Forces in action, 3.3 Work, energy and power, 3.4 Materials and 3.5 Momentum.
- Module 4 – Electrons, waves and photons - 4.1 Charge and current, 4.2 Energy, power and resistance, 4.3 Electrical circuits, 4.4 Waves and 4.5 Quantum physics
- Module 5 – Newtonian world and astrophysics - 5.1 Thermal physics, 5.2 Circular motion, 5.3 Oscillations, 5.4 Gravitational fields, 5.5 Astrophysics and cosmology.
- Module 6 – Particles and medical physics - 6.1 Capacitors, 6.2 Electric fields, 6.3 Electromagnetism, 6.4 Nuclear and particle physics and 6.5 Medical imaging
5 or more A*-C grades (GCSE or BTEC equivalent) including grade 4 in English, with a 5 or higher in Maths, Core Science and Additional Science.
Paper 1: Modelling physics (01)
Paper 2: Exploring physics (02)
Paper 3: Unified physics (03)
Practical: Practical endorsement in physics (04)*
- Acoustics ,Aeronautical Engineer, Agricultural Engineer, Air Traffic Controller, Airline Pilot, Archaeologist Architect, Astronomer, Audio Engineer, Broadcasting ,Cartographer, Chartered Surveyor, Civil Engineer, Climatologist, Clinical Scientist, Computing, Designer, Doctor, Electrical Engineer
- Energy, Engineering, Environment, Environmental Scientist, Forensic Scientist, Gas Engineer, Geologist, Health Services, Laboratory Technician, Marine Engineering, Mathematician, Mechanical Engineer, Medical Physicist
- Meteorologist, Naval Architect, Naval Career, Nuclear Scientist, Oceanographer, Operational Research, Patent Agent, Patent Examiner, Pharmacist, Radiation Protection, Radiographer, Scientific Officer (Government), Space and Remote Sensing, Teacher, Transport, Water Management
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Milton Keynes Academy directly.