Further Mathematics AS and A level at Frome Community College
In addition to the six A Level mathematics modules you will study three additional modules to achieve an AS in further mathematics: Further Pure 1, Decision 1 and Decision 2. This course is taught in a reduced period of time compared with other A Levels.
For highly motivated students, there will be an opportunity to complete a full A Level in further mathematics. This will include some selfstudy with support from A Level mathematics teachers.
Further modules for A2 being: further pure 2, statistics 2 and statistics 3.
If AS is studied over two years students may take one or two modular exams in Term 5 or 6 of Year 12 and the remainder (one or two) at the end of Year 13.
For the full A Level in further maths, students take three equally weighted exams at the end of each year.
• FP1. Summation of series; induction; roots of polynomials; complex numbers; matrices.
• FP2. Rational functions and graphs; polar coordinates; hyperbolic functions; differentiation and integration; numerical methods.
• D1. Algorithms; graph theory; networks; linear programming.
• D2. Game theory; flows in a network; matching and allocation; critical path analysis; dynamic programming.
• S2. Continuous random variables; normal distribution; poisson distribution; sampling and hypothesis tests.
• S3. Continuous random variables; linear combinations of random variables; confidence intervals and the t-distribution; difference of population means and proportion tests.
5 GCSE grades A* - C including English and/or maths and science core/additional or separate physics or chemistry
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Frome Community College directly.