Design & Technology - Product Design AS Level at St Peter's School, Huntingdon
At St Peters School this course will offer you the opportunity to study, propose and realise prototype solutions closely linked to the real world of product manufacture in a range of material areas.
WHAT WILL I LEARN
- 1.To initiate design solutions, develop, test and trial working models and prototypes;
- 2.To develop and sustain imagination, innovation and flair when working with concepts and materials;
- 3.To develop an understanding of contemporary design and technological practices and consider the uses and effects of new technologies and modern materials;
- 4.To develop thinking skills, financial capability, enterprise and entrepreneurial skills.
These specifications build on, but do not depend on, the knowledge, understanding and skills of KS3 and KS4 Design Technology.
It is recommended that candidates have attained
- communication and literacy skills at a level equivalent to GCSE Grade C in English.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSEDUnit% of A2AS F521: Advanced Innovation Challenge20%AS F522: Product Study30%A2 F523: Design, Make and Evaluate30%A2 F524: Product Design20%
The Challenge is a six hour practical exam were you design, model and prototype your ideas.
The product study evaluates existing deigns and then gives you the chance to make them. The final unit is a written paper that assesses your understanding of materials and processes used in your designing.
Basic design equipment including colours pens and pencils.
FUTURE OPPORTUNITIES WITH DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY
If you have an interest in the world of communication and how the customer is motivated to buy a product then this is the course for you.
If you might want to go on to study a wide range of degree course from Architecture to Typography then this is the course for you. Even those who think they may never need to design again will find the design process a valuable basis for management skills.
Contact Mrs C Peters for further information. Delivery: Full-time
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact St Peter's School, Huntingdon directly.