Sport Coaching, Development and Fitness BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma Level 3 at City College Plymouth
Do you have a passion for sport? An interest in staying fit and healthy? Have you thought about a career as a Sports Therapist, Strength and Conditioning Coach, Health and Fitness Instructor or a PE Teacher? This study programme could be the next stepping stone to getting you on your way to that dream job! It focuses on sports leadership and coaching, health and fitness, sports massage and injuries whilst developing knowledge in key subject areas such as Sports Nutrition, Practical Sport, Fitness Testing, Instructing Physical Activity and many more. You'll be offered the opportunity to gain hands on practical experience within the sports, health and fitness industry with 18 sport-related subject studied over two years and a work experience placement, making this course an exciting opportunity and challenge for those wanted to make a career in the industry.
The course is broken down into two separate qualifications - the 90 credit diploma and the extended diploma. Successful completion of the 90 credit diploma (year one) will enable you to progress to the extended diploma (year two).
90 credit diploma units include:
- principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- the physiology of fitness
- assessing risk in sport
- fitness training and programming
- sports development
- fitness testing for sport or exercise
- practical team sports
- leadership in sport.
Extended diploma units include:
- sports nutrition
- practical individual games
- sport injuries
- sport as a business
- instructing physical activity and exercise
- sport coaching
- sport massage
- work experience.
During the course you will be given the opportunity to study industry related qualifications at an additional cost including:
- 'CYQ' Level 1 and 2 awards in Instructing Exercise and Fitness
- National Pool lifeguard qualification
- Sports coaching awards.
Your individualised study programme will be made up of the following four areas:
- the qualification you are studying
- English and maths
- work experience
- other activities to develop your personal skills e.g. preparing you for employment, training or higher/further education.
In our experience in order to be successful on this course you will need one of the following:
- four GCSEs A to C grade including English and maths, preferably with physical education and science
- BTEC first diploma at merit level, with a satisfactory reference regarding attendance, attitude and potential for development
- successful completion of the BTEC level 3 subsidiary diploma in sport
- an NVQ level 2/technical certificate
- successful completion of an Apprenticeship course
- equivalent qualifications or relevant work experience.
*Those hoping to do AS Level Sports Studies will require five GCSEs.
The styles of assessment are varied and promote coursework based assignments rather than exams. The range of methods used includes written assignments, presentations, practical tests, portfolio evidence and observations/witness statements. Assignments are graded and awarded either a pass, merit or distinction grade. These grades are calculated at the end of the year where an overall mark and grade is subsequently awarded.
On successful completion you may progress to:
- higher education courses such as a foundation degree in Sports Therapy, Strength and Conditioning or Health and Wellbeing at the College
- any sport, exercise and fitness related degree at university level
- additional industry related qualifications
- entry into employment.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact City College Plymouth directly.