Hospitality and Catering - Commis Chef Standard Apprenticeship at Kirklees College, Huddersfield Centre
Commis chef is the starting position in most kitchens. You will prepare food and carry out basic cooking tasks under the supervision of a senior chef.
You will learn and understand how to carry out basic functions in every section of the kitchen including:
• Preparing, cooking and finishing basic dishes including fish and shellfish, poultry, meat, game, stocks and sauces, bread and dough, rice and pasta, soups, vegetables and pulses, egg dishes, hot and cold desserts, cakes and biscuits
• Health, safety and security
• Food waste management
• Professional behaviours
• Working within budgets
• Supply chain
• Risk management
• Taste – seasoning, herbs and spices
• Correct techniques with knives, tools and equipment
• Meeting targets Uniform and equipment will be discussed at interview
A level 2 qualification and ideally English and maths grade 4/C or above. In exceptional circumstances, acceptance may be based on industry acquired skills and experience backed by references and skills testing.
• On-demand test
• Practical observation
• Culinary challenge
• Professional discussion
Employment / Progression to Level 3.
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.