Accessibility links

Design and Technology A level **FEES PAYABLE** at Blackheath High School

Course description

Design and Technology at A level is the course for you if you enjoy designing and making, and have an interest in the way in which the design of products influences your life, and the lives of others.

Design and Technology will provide a good introduction to the skills required for careers in the fields of art and design, graphics, product design, architecture, engineering and project management, to name but a few.

The course offered is Edexcel Design and Technology Product Design: Graphics with Materials Technology.  The AS/A2 GCE Design and Technology aims to provide an opportunity for you to develop your own creativity, capability and entrepreneruial skills, to apply your knowledge and understanding to a range of technological activities and to develop your critical thinking and collaborative skills.

AS/A2 GCE Design and Technology is designed either to complement subjects such as Mathematics, Physics, Economics and Business Studies, and Art and Design at AS or A2 level, or to contrast with subjects such as English, History, Geography and Modern Languages.


AS: There is a strong coursework element, worth 60% of the final AS grade, as well as a written one and half hour examination taken in June, worth 40% of the AS grade.  The coursework will be undertaken from the start and spread over the first two and a half terms.  There will be theory lessons also spread from the start of the course and then concentrated in the final half term before examinations in June.  A textbook written specifically for the course will be provided.

The AS coursework consists of a portfolio of creative skills divided into three distinct sections each counting towards a third of the coursework mark.  The first is a detailed product analysis of a commercial product.  The second is a design folder, where you can come up with some really creative and innovative work.  These designs do not have to be constrained by the facilities in the workshop as the design does not have to be actually manufactured.  The third section is product manufacture.  You will manufacture a product which may have been designed by you or by another designer.  The areas of design may include conceptual design for example product prototyping, packaging design, or point of sale design; or the built environment, for example models for architecture, interior design, theatre and exhibition design.

The AS written examination, taken in June will develop knowledge and understanding of a wide range of materials and processes used in the field of design and technology.

A2: The A2 course undertaken in Y13 will again have a strong coursework element worth 60% of the marks gained at A2.  There is also a 2 hour written examination undertaken in June for the remaining 40% of the A2 marks.

The A2 coursework is a substantial 'design and make' portfolio where you will work with a real client.  The client will provide the design brief and provide feedback, which will influence the development of the design.  The design will then be manufactured by you, in the school workshop.  This coursework will be started at the end of Y12 and will continue through the first two terms of Y13.  The theory for the written examination will be covered in lessons through Y13 and concentrated towards the last half term of the course.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Blackheath High School directly.

Last updated date: 24 August 2016

Key information

  • Start date: Next September