Hospitality & Event Leadership BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Kendal College
The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Hospitality is a two year full time qualification and equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
The course provides comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the hospitality and catering industry, preparing students with the knowledge and skills to progress to supervisory level roles.
The course prepares learners for a career in the hospitality and catering industry in various roles so has a huge focus on employability skills. Learners are involved with a range of trips and visits, guest speakers and also undertake relevant work experience.
During the course students will be taught using a range of different methods, including lectures, practical sessions, educational visits and visiting speakers. Students will work in the college training kitchens and in the realistic working environment which is made up of our main production kitchen and restaurant.
Teaching methods include:
- Practical activities - learners develop skills required for the workplace in practical cookery and restaurant & bar service as well as high profile event organisation.
- Case studies - these will be based on information from real life hospitality and catering businesses. This will involve visiting catering establishments.
- Class Discussions - a lot of lessons will be based around this where students have the opportunity to express their own opinions and ideas.
- Group Discussions - students will be in a smaller group discussing ideas and concepts.
All of our learners will be given support with their English and Maths skills where relevant to their main programme. Those students who have not yet achieved a ‘C’ grade at GCSE in these subjects will continue to work towards these important qualifications at a level suited to them.
This course will be part of a wider study programme, which may also include english & maths, work placement and additional studies.
The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Hospitality consists of a varied range of units, including some of the following:
- The Hospitality Industry
- Events Organisation in Hospitality
- Planning & Managing a Hospitality Event
- Food Service Organisation
- Principles of Supervising Customer Service Performance in Hospitality
- Providing Customer Service in Hospitality
- Financial Control in Hospitality
- Food and Drink Service
- European Food
- Contemporary World Food
- Alcoholic Beverage Service
- Personal Selling & Promotional Skills in Hospitality
Four GCSEs grade C or above including GCSE English and Maths or Level 2 NVQ, Diploma or equivalent in Catering.
An interview and assessment will assess your suitability and interest in the industry.
Each unit is assessed by a variety of assignment tasks, both written and practical.
Each unit will be graded PASS, MERIT or DISTINCTION. A DISTINCTION grade can gain 360 UCAS points.
In order to gain the full qualification all units must be successfully completed.
Students who study this Hospitality BTEC will have access to a range of higher education opportunities including HND, Foundation Degrees and BA Honours Degrees, courses may include Culinary Arts Management, Hospitality Management and Events Management.
Progression routes at Kendal college include HND in Hospitality Management.
Employment routes include trainee supervisor, hotel receptionist, trainee hotel manager, sales co-ordinator, wedding co-ordinator.
The types of employers include hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, holiday resorts, conference centres, holiday parks.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Kendal College directly.