Applied Science (Forensic) BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma at Macclesfield College
This course looks at developing laboratory, investigation and Science based skills. It is made up of units in Biology, Chemistry, Criminology, Forensic Science & Psychology. This course is for you if you have an interest in Science or wish to enter into either a Science, Forensic, Police or Criminology based career route.
During this course you will study a total of 18 units in areas such as:
- Criminal profiling techniques
- Police procedures with criminal investigative practice
- Analytical techniques in chemical laboratories
You will complete a range of both practical and research based activities as well as attending a number of visits which include local magistrates courts and microbiology laborotories.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
For this course you will need to have achieved 4 GCSEs Grade A*-C, to include Science at grade B or above.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
All assessment is through a combination of coursework and examinations. This can take the form of presentations, lab reports, essays,
practical experiments and group work activities.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
- Apply to study a Higher National qualification in Applied Biology or Applied Chemistry at Macclesfield College or other Higher Education courses with another provider
- Apply to study courses such as biomedical sciences, physiotherapy and criminology
- Pursue a career within science related areas
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Macclesfield College directly.