Food and Cookery VCert Level 2 Certificate at Beechwood School
This qualification is designed for learners who have an interest in Food and Cookery. It will provide learners with experience of using different cooking techniques and methods to enable them to use these within further education or apprenticeships. It will give them a basic understanding of the skills required for a career in food.
It aims to:
- focus on an applied study of the food and cookery occupational area;
- offer breadth and depth of study, incorporating a significant core of knowledge and theoretical content with broad-ranging applicability;
- provide opportunities to acquire a number of practical and technical skills.
The objectives of this qualification are to help learners:
- prepare and cook using basic skills;
- understand food and its functions in the body and in recipes;
- understand balanced diets and modification of recipes for health;
- plan and produce dishes for a purpose.
Throughout the delivery of this qualification, these core areas and transferable skills should be evident:
- research skills;
- problem-solving skills;
- health and safety.
Learners complete four units.
- Unit 1: Preparing to cook: internally assessed
- Unit 2: Understanding food: internally assessed
- Unit 3: Exploring balanced diets: externally set and marked assessment paper.
- Unit 4: Plan and produce dishes in response to a brief: internally assessed portfolio of evidence.
Learners achieving this qualification could progress onto further Level 3 qualifications and A levels:
- Advanced GCE in Design and Technology: Food Technology
- Advanced GCE in Home Economics
- Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery
- Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles
- Professional Cookery Studies
It may also be useful to those studying qualifications in the following sectors:
- Food Technology
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Beechwood School directly.