Childcare Level 1 Diploma at Eastleigh College
The Level 1 Caring for Children programme is designed to stimulate your interest and encourage an understanding of skills and knowledge needed to care for young children.
The programme serves as an excellent foundation starting block on which to build further skills.
Please note this Diploma is not a licence to practice and work with children.
The programme aims to:
- Provide you with the opportunity to develop basic skills in caring for children that you can use as a starting basis for further training in Health and Social Care or Childcare at Level 2.
- Deliver Personal and Social Development skills (PSD) by helping you to identify and achieve your own goals in education and training.
In order to gain the award, you will need to complete 16 childcare units and two Functional Skills units in English and Maths.
GCSE retakes of Maths and English will be a requirement. (Functional Skills qualifications in Maths and English are part of a scheme introduced by the Government. This will lead onto the retaking of GCSE English and Maths during the Level 2 Childcare qualification.)
You will learn through a variety of teaching methods including lectures, case studies, work placement diaries and tasks.
You will also undertake work experience in an appropriate work setting every week during the year, as well as some block weeks, which will mean you will be spending a full five days of the week in a childcare setting.
- You will need to have a good general education, with GCSEs at grade A* - E.
- Students should also have good attendance and attainment reports from previous school or college, and complete a successful college interview
- You will need to demonstrate a commitment to caring for children on a two day a week childcare placement throughout the college academic year.
- Students who have not acquired a GCSE at grade D in English and Maths will be working towards a retake in these subjects.
- Additional study will be required and advice will be given on how to access these programmes.
- It is required by law that anyone one working with children will undertake an enhanced police check. This check will need to return with a clear status for you to be able to work with children.
Assignment tasks will be required for all childcare units, as well as Personal and Social Development (PSD) unit tasks.
You will need to provide stationery, suitable clothing and footwear. You may be required to purchase a work experience uniform (t-shirts) at a minimal cost.
There will also be a further charge for an Independent Safeguarding Authority Certificate (formerly Criminal Records Bureau check), which is mandatory.
Students who pass their Functional Skills in Maths and English at Level 1, or pass their GCSE in maths & English at D grade , and pass all their assignments and have an attendance score of over 85%, may be recommended to proceed onto a Level 2 programme in either Health and Social Care or Childcare at Eastleigh College.
Working with children demands emotional maturity. You should show you are mature enough to benefit from learning and undertake work experience in this field, together with the potential to act on your own at times in a safe manner.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Eastleigh College directly.