Physical Education A Level at Christ the King Catholic Voluntary Academy
This is a theory based course where all lessons in school will take place in a theoretical setting. You will study the Anatomy and Physiology of the human body, as well as studying Biomechanics and how technology impacts on sports performance. You will also study psychological elements and the impact of the brain on sports performance, as well as the History of sport and how society impacts on the sports that we participate in.
It is essential that you have an interest in the human body and how it alters during sports performance. You will need to remember a lot of key information such as the location of 38 different muscles in the body, and so it is vital that you work hard outside of the lesson to develop your knowledge of the subject.
There are three elements of assessment :-
- 35% exam based on Physiological Factors Affecting Performance.
- 35% exam based on Psychological and Socio Cultural Themes in Physical Education.
- 30% based on performance in physical Education. This involves being assessed on your sporting ability in one sport whilst also completing a verbal assessment where you link the theory element of the course to your chosen sport.Year 13
There are four elements of assessment:-
- 30% Exam – Physiological factors Affecting Performance (Anatomy and Physiology/Biomechanics)
- 20% Exam – Physiological Factors Affecting Performance (Sport Psychology/skill acquisition)
- 20% Exam – Socio-Cultural issues in Physical Activity and Sport (Sport and Society)
- 30% – Performance in Physical Education (Performance and verbal talk in one sport)
Physical Education is a scientific course linked to exercise, so there are a number of careers that are linked to this area for example a Physiotherapist or an Exercise Physiologist. It would help someone who wants to have a career in sport or is interested in working in the leisure industry, as a Personal Trainer for example. A number of our former students have gone to university to study Sports Science and then gone on to be full time Coaches or Teachers.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Christ the King Catholic Voluntary Academy directly.