Accessibility links

Geography A Level at Myton School

Course description

Geography at A Level is very broad. It will suit students interested in science, maths, sociology, politics and those with a love for the outdoors and the environment.

From the BBC’s Simon Reeve, “Geography is the way ahead – the story of us and our planet.”

Course content

At A Level we cover a huge number of topics. Starting with looking at a very new idea of why places develop, where we visit Sheffield in October of Year 12 to explore various parts. On the same trip we investigate the little known Peak District to see how special and fragile the moorlands are.
We will revisit a few old favourites like tectonic hazards and coasts but will add some interesting new ideas to these too whilst we explore some new concepts, with power and borders and disease dilemmas.

Entry requirements

At least a grade 6 in GCSE Geography and grade 5 in Maths and English

Assessment

Our second field trip in the summer of Year 12 is for you to collect the data for your independent investigation, where you get to choose the topic and title you focus on. This makes up 20% of your A Level, the remaining 80% is split between three exams at the end of Year 13.

Future opportunities

Geography is one of the most transferrable options for A Level, the vast array of skills we use will give you many options. At university common degree paths are Geography, Physical Geography, Human Geography, Geology, Environmental Science and Meteorology.
Beyond that the job opportunities for someone with a background in Geography are immense.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Myton School directly.

Last updated date: 02 January 2018
Provider logo

Key information

Venues