Electrotechnical Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship at Wiltshire College
Electricians work on a very wide range of projects, from bringing power to homes, repairing systems and taking part in major engineering projects.
An ever-developing industry, more and more electricians can now find themselves working with renewable technologies such as photovoltaic systems such as solar panels to wind turbines.
As an electrician, you install, inspect and test equipment, make sure that the systems work, and find and fix faults.
Electrotechnical careers are divided into different areas:
- Installation electrician - installing power systems, lighting, fire protection, security and data-network systems in all types of buildings
- Maintenance electrician - checking systems regularly to make sure that they are working efficiently and safely
- Electrotechnical panel builders - building and installing control panels that operate the electrical systems inside buildings
- Machine repair and rewind electrician - repairing and maintaining electrical motors and other machinery like transformers to make sure that they work correctly
- Highway systems electrician - installing and maintaining street lighting and traffic management systems that tell the public what they need to know when they're on the roads and motorways.
As an electrician apprentice, you will learn how to install, inspect and test equipment and build the knowledge and skills required to find and fix faults.
Minimum 5 GCSE grades A-C including Maths, English and Science. All applicants will be required to pass initial assessments in Maths and English. Merit or Distinction in a related subject at Level 2.
Apprenticeships are designed with the help of employers, so they offer a structured programme that takes you through the skills you need to do a job well. Each apprenticeship involves a structured programme of training leading to a recognised qualification, and they are available at different levels, letting you choose the speed you wish to learn at.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Wiltshire College directly.