BTEC Information Technology Level 3 at Birchwood Community High School
This course has been designed to give learners the opportunity to enter employment in the IT sector and to progress to vocational higher education qualifications. Previous students have taken up places at university on courses such as Information Technology Management for Business and Computer Studies.
This course has been designed to provide you with an insight into core and specialist units which cover aspects of knowledge, understanding and competency necessary for employment within ICT. The course is ideal if you have a keen interest in computers, how they work and their uses. Students will have the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques involving Information Technology
Students undertake the following core units:
- Communication and Employability Skills for IT
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Plus another Unit taken from a list of specialist areas (web design, animation, spreadsheets, etc.)
Students take two of these units:
- ICT Project
- ICT Supporting Organisations
- Networking Essentials
- Website Development
- Software Design and Development;
- Customising Applications Software
- Database Software;
- Spreadsheet Software
- Numerical Applications
- Installing Hardware Components;
- Software Installation and Upgrade
- Technical Fault Diagnosis and Remedy
- Providing ICT Technical Advice and Guidance
- Security of ICT Systems; ICT Graphics
- Doing Business Online
All work is internally marked and then moderated by the awarding body. Assignments are criteria based and when sufficient criteria have been achieved, a pass, merit or distinction can be awarded for the unit. All assignments have to be completed to a minimum
of a pass level in order
to achieve an overall pass or higher.
Evidence for assessment can include portfolio work, research/written assignments, video/observations and presentations.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Birchwood Community High School directly.