BTEC Level 3 PE at The Ripley Academy
Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is a 60 credits course taking two academic years to complete. The course involves 4 mandatory units that are set by Edexcel; Unit 1 Principles of Anatomy and Physiology in Sport (5 credit unit), Unit 2 The Physiology of Fitness (5 credit unit), Unit 3 Assessing Risk in Sport (10 credit unit)and Unit 7 Fitness Testing for Sport and Exercise (10 credit unit).
Following the completion of these units’ three additional units from the list below can be selected. To offer you greater flexibility and choice, especially for those who are clear about the area of employment that they wish to enter, the PE department is allowing you to choose which three units you would like to study. We will then look at running the three most popular units (other units may still be selected and completed through independent study).
- Unit 4 - Fitness Training and Programming
- Unit 5 - Sports Coaching **
- Unit 6 - Sports Development
- Unit 8 - Practical Team Sports *
- Unit 9 - Practical Individual Sports *
- Unit 11 - Sports Nutrition
- Unit 12 - Current Issues in Sport
- Unit 13 - Leadership in Sport **
- Unit 14 - Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
- Unit 15 - Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Unit 17 - Psychology for Sports Performance
- Unit 24 - Physical Education and the Care of Children and Young People
- Unit 26 - Work Experience in Sport
- Unit 27 - Technical and Tactical Skills in Sport
- Unit 28 - The Athlete’s Lifestyle
- Unit 39 - Sports Facilities and Operational Management.
* Learners may select only one from Unit 8 or Unit 9
** Learners may select only one of Unit 5 or Unit 13
We prefer students to have a good understanding of Physical Education or have studied GCSE Physical Education.
This course is ideal for any students considering a future career where a good grounding in physical education is important. It provides a route into employment, such as teaching, coaching, recreation management police, armed forces etc. It can also be used as a route into higher education.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Ripley Academy directly.