Mathematics AS/A2 at Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School
Students of Mathematics like the challenge it provides, enjoy its clarity, with the solution of a problem providing excitement and satisfaction.
Mathematics has wide importance it is advancing at a spectacular rate. Mathematics is about pattern and structure; it is about logical analysis, deduction, calculation within these patterns and structures. When patterns are found, often in widely different areas of science and technology, the mathematics of these patterns can be used to explain and control natural happenings and situations. Mathematics has a pervasive influence on our everyday lives, and contributes to the wealth of the country.
AS and A2 course content
The course consists of 6 units. 3 units at AS level and 3 units at A level. All units are equally weighted, and all examination papers are 1 hour 30 minutes long. The units have been designed to encourage candidates to:
• develop their understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes in a way that promotes confidence and fosters enjoyment
• develop abilities to reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning, to generalise and to extend their range of mathematical skills and techniques and use them in more difficult, unstructured problems
• recognise how a situation may be represented mathematically and understand the relationship between ‘real-world’ problems and standard and other mathematical models and how these can be refined and improved
• acquire the skills needed to use technology such as calculators and computers effectively, recognise when such use may be inappropriate and be aware of limitations
• develop an awareness of the relevance of mathematics to other fields of study, to the world of work and to society in general
• take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
GCSE grade A in Mathematics
All exams will take place in June, students will sit 3 modules, Statistics, Core 1 and Core 2.
A level Qualification
All exams will be in June, students will sit Core 3, Core 4 and Mechanics.
Studying Mathematics can lead to unlimited options. Those who study Mathematics are keen problem solvers, eager to make sense of even the most advanced equations. Academic research is a common career path, but so too are careers in business, finance, economics, banking and engineering.
This wide range of opportunities comes from the universal need for graduates with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
This course is a traditional A level. It is exam based and requires students to be able to apply knowledge of Mathematics in a variety of familiar and unfamiliar circumstances.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Caludon Castle Business Enterprise School directly.