Professional Cookery - Michael Caines Academy Level 2 - VRQ2 Diploma at Exeter College
Inspired by our illustrious alumnus Michael Caines MBE, Exeter College has launched the Michael Caines Academy with the aim of nurturing the region's future generation of talented restaurateurs, chefs, restaurant managers, waiters and front of house staff. This is a fantastic opportunity for young people seeking a career in hospitality at whatever level. It is more than just a course - with Michael directly involved, there will be high profile experiences, challenging practical and theoretical workshops and master classes from the very best in industry.
Whilst studying the VRQ2 diplomas you will gain the necessary knowledge and understanding to enter the catering and hospitality industry. The qualification will test your practical, theoretical and food service skills, whilst allowing you to further explore the diversity of this vast industry. You will undertake a variety of experiences ranging from competitions, educational overseas visits, placements, masterclasses and gaining first hand experiences from industry specialists such as Michael Caines, Mark Hix, Tanner Brothers, WSET and many more.
- Investigate the catering and hospitality industry
- Food Safety in Catering
- Health and Safety in catering and hospitality industry
- Healthier foods and special diets
- Catering Operations, costs and menu planning
- Applying workplace skills
- Prepare and cook stocks, soups and sauces
- Prepare and cook fruit and vegetables
- Prepare and cook meat and offal
- Prepare and cook poultry
- Prepare and cook fish and shellfish
- Prepare and cook rice, pasta, grains and egg dishes
- Prepare and cook desserts and puddings
- Prepare and cook bakery products
- Legislation in food and beverage service
- Menu knowledge, design and resources
- Applying workplace skills
- Principles of beverage product knowledge
- Service of hot beverages
- Food and beverage service skills
- Handling payments and maintaining the payment point
- Principles of customer service in hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism
You must have successfully completed the VRQ1 Level 1 Diploma in Professional Cookery, have excellent attendance, a positive reference from your tutor and have demonstrated excellence.
You will be assessed throughout the year via practical and theoretical examinations which will culminate in two final synoptic examinations. All examinations are graded (pass, credit, distinction)
The additional costs for knives and equipment will cost approximately £200.00, the additional knives will help support the requirements of the qualification and aid your continuation into industry.
It is anticipated that you would aim to progress to the next stages of the course via the VRQ3 Diploma in Professional Cookery course or NVQ Level 3 Apprenticeship in Food Preparation and Cooking to further your training and broaden your career opportunities. You may also seek employment within the industry.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Exeter College directly.