Accessibility links

Physical Education A-Level at Egglescliffe School

Course description

The A level course is made up of four units of which two are studied in year 12 at AS level and two in year 13.

In Year 12 there is one theoretical unit and one practical unit. At the end of the year there is one written exam, which will account for 60% of your final AS mark. The remaining 40% is given for practical performance in two activities and an oral evaluation of performance.

In Year 13 the AS mark will count towards 50% of the final A level Grade. The two remaining units consist of one theory and one practical. The first written exam will account for 35% of the final mark and the practical performance 15%, which includes a second oral evaluation of performance. It should be noted that a large part of this course is theoretical.

Along with the obvious practical motor skills and fitness elements of the subject, time is given to develop interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills. Candidates will also need to be able to observe, analyse, problem solve and will develop the ability to construct and articulate or write an argument.

Course content

Year 12

Unit 1: Anatomy, Physiology and Skill Acquisition and Socio-Cultural Studies. This looks at how the body is structured for physical performance and how it adapts to it, how skills are learned in sport and the role of sport in different cultures/societies. The importance of leading a balanced, active and healthy lifestyle is a focus throughout the course.

Unit 2: Performance and critical analysis-performance in two activities and an oral evaluation of a live performance, including an action plan.

Year 13

Unit 1: This unit is made up of historical studies and students need to select two from: Sports, Psychology, Exercise Physiology or Biomechanics. The examination paper includes short essay style questions which require students to integrate their knowledge across the theoretical and practical units.

Unit 2: Improvement in effective performance in one practical activity from the two studied at AS. There is also an oral evaluation of a live performance which includes an action plan and is supported from theoretical principles studied throughout the whole course.

Entry requirements

5+ A*-C grades in GCSEs or equivalent qualifications including English Language and Maths.

Subject Specific

Grade B or above in GCSE Physical Education. If you have not studied GCSE Physical Education then a Grade B in GCSE Biology or Double Award Science would be preferable. Students should regularly take part in sport and preferably be training with a club either within school or outside school in at least one of their chosen practical activities.

Financial information

Are there any expenses involved?

Visiting specific sporting events or lectures relevant to particular topics may carry a small cost.

Future opportunities

Students taking this course have gone on to study a variety of degree courses ranging from Sports Science, Physiotherapy, Sports Journalism, Law and Physical Education to Primary Teaching. Students have also looked into using this A level to access the armed forces and police force.

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Egglescliffe School directly.

Last updated date: 24 April 2015

Key information

Venues