French (NVQ) at King Edward VII
Why should I do this course?
This course is for you
- If you would like to develop your language in a practical way, related to a job
- If you work better on short-term tasks and small tests rather than sitting an examination
Why will this course help me with my future job?
A recent enquiry stated that:
- The UK workforce suffers from a chronic shortage of people with usable language skills.
- Companies increasingly need people with technical or professional skills plus another language and often their only option is to recruit speakers of other languages from abroad.
During the course you will:
- Develop the language skills you have gained in KS3
- Improve your ICT skills
- Learn about business culture
- Learn more about our European neighbours
- Have a real reason for speaking another language
NVQ Language Units Level 1
If you complete all 4 units at Level 1, you will achieve theequivalent of a GCSE grade E
NVQ Language Units Level 2
If you complete all 4 units at Level 2 you will achieve theequivalent of a GCSE grade B
There are 4 units at each level: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Your teacher will set you either Level 1 or Level 2 assessment tasks, depending on your ability ad your progress during the course.
The NVQ course will be based onbusiness languageand will involve learning to communicate in a business environment e.g. answering the phone, writing a business letter, listening to answer phone messages and reading faxes.
Must have studied the language in Years 8 and 9 and have a very good attendance record.
AssessmentThere areno final examinations.
You will need to collect evidence for a portfolio (= a folder of work showing what you can do).
Assessment will be by your teacher and an external verifier.
Learning / Assessment ActivitiesYou will carry out listening, reading, writing and speaking tasks. Some of the speaking tasks will be recorded with your teacher. The written work may be word-processed and will be assessed by your teacher and form your portfolio of evidence. Many of these activities will involve the use ofICT.
You will also have the opportunity to go oncompany visitsand carry out real tasks in the foreign language out of school in a Sheffield local business.
Resources and Student SupportYou will use a text book, the computer and many other resources, such as video, taped phone conversations, the internet etc. Your teacher will help you with putting your portfolio together.
A practical languages qualification will be valued by any employer. A Language is also a useful subject to combine with other subjects for further study, for example Business Studies, Law, Marketing, Customer Care etc. It is also possible to continue to NVQ Level 3 and there are a number of other vocational language qualifications relating to different careers.
This course is combinable with other opportunities within a single application
How to apply
You can apply for this course through UCAS Progress. Add this course to your favourites so you can start making an application.