Accessibility links

Art GCSE at Sir Harry Smith Community College

Course description

Art is a popular and successful option at GCSE where the emphasis encourages an adventurous and enquiring approach to Art and developing skills to express a personal response. During Years 10 and 11 students work on two major project units. This follows a similar pattern to the work at Key Stage 3 of working in journals and producing finished pieces of work. This is the coursework part of the course which is worth 60% of the total marks. At the end of Year 11 students will take a ten hour timed test to determine the remaining 40%.

Future opportunities

You could take this course to prepare for advanced level courses such as an A/AS Level in Art and Design or you may need to strengthen your grades by completing a foundation or intermediate vocational qualification. With further training, you could go into a job related to art and design such as an Architect, Interior Designer or Art Teacher. You could also go straight into employment and do further training or part time study with the support of your employer.

Further information

Contact Enquiries for further information. Delivery: Usually as part of a full-time programme

How to apply

If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact Sir Harry Smith Community College directly.

Last updated date: 20 May 2014
Provider logo

Key information

  • Start date: Next September
  • Duration: 2 years

Venues