A Level Biology at The Cottesloe School
Biology A provides a flexible approach to teaching. The specification is divided into topics, each covering different key concepts of biology. Teaching of practical skills is integrated with the theoretical topics and students are assessed through the written papers. For A Level only, the Practical Endorsement will also support the development of practical skills.
The modules can be summarised as:
- Module 1: Development of practical skills – this module underpins the whole of the specification, and covers the practical skills that students should develop throughout the course. The practical skills in this module can be assessed within written examinations and (for A Level only) within the Practical Endorsement.
- Module 2: Foundations in biology – covering concepts required throughout the remaining modules.
- Module 3: Exchange and transport.
- Module 4: Biodiversity, Evolution and Disease.
- Module 5: Communications, Homeostasis and energy.
- Module 6: Genetics, evolution and ecosystems.
At AS Level:
- AS Papers 1 and 2 can assess any content from Modules 1 to 4.
At A Level:
- A Level Paper 1 assesses the content from Modules 1, 2, 3 and 5
- A Level Paper 2 assesses the content from Modules 1, 2, 4 and 6
- A Level Paper 3 assesses the content from Modules 1 to 6.
How to apply
If you want to apply for this course, you will need to contact The Cottesloe School directly.